BCAR Electric Vehicle Parking & Charging Policy
Mission statement: The City of Buffalo, in cooperation with Buffalo Civic Auto Ramps, seek to encourage cleaner driving vehicles downtown and in the City of Buffalo in general. To that end, 16 electric vehicle charging stations, serving 32 parking spaces, have been installed in eight parking garages. The policy for using these stations will be dynamic and flexible as this new technology expands and usage patterns evolve.
Use of Electric Vehicle charging stations will fall under one of three categories with slightly different rules and procedures for each. The three categories are: reserved monthly, regular monthly, ticket customers.
Policy for Reserved Monthly Parkers:
- Reserved electric vehicle charging stations parking spaces will be available on a first come first serve basis for all existing ramp customers.
- A customer who wishes to have their own designated reserved space at an electric vehicle charging station will be charged the reserved monthly rate for the ramp with no additional charge for electric usage.
- A numbered sign will be erected at an electric vehicle parking space and the space will be reserved for the exclusive use by the reserved monthly customer.
- A maximum of 50% of available electric vehicle parking spaces will be sold as reserved monthly spaces, and will be sold on a first come, first serve basis.
- A reserved monthly parker must use his/her designated space not another electric vehicle charging space nor any other space in the parking ramp.
Policy for Regular Monthly Parkers:
- Regular monthly parkers who wish to use the electric vehicle charging station must purchase an annual hang tag to be eligible to park and charge at an electric vehicle charging station. The cost of the hang tag will be $20 dollars and will be valid for a specific calendar year (charge will not be prorated). A new tag will need to be purchased each year.
- The tag must be hanging on the mirror whenever parked in an electric vehicle charging station parking space. There will be no additional charge for electric usage. Spaces will be available on a first come first serve basis.
- Vehicles parked in electric vehicle parking spaces must display current hang tag or they are subject to a $60.00 parking without consent parking ticket.
- Regular monthly parkers are not allowed to park in numbered reserved electric vehicle parking spaces. When a regular monthly parker is parked in an electric vehicle parking space, the car MUST be plugged in.
- Having a hang tag for an electric vehicle parking spot makes you eligible for parking and plugging in at an electric vehicle charging station space. It DOES NOT GUARANTEE you a space to plug in your vehicle.
Policy for Ticket Customers:
- Ticket customers are any parkers who receive a ticket upon entrance and pay an hourly or daily fee to park. These customers are allowed to park in electric vehicle parking spaces (unless reserved) and there will be no additional charge for electric usage.
- Ticket customers must leave current day’s ticket on the dash for verification as a ticket customer.
- Only ticket customers with electric vehicles may park in electric vehicle spaces and they must be plugged in while parked.
General Policy Conditions
- This electric vehicle parking policy is subject to change as usage patterns evolve. This includes, but is not limited to: charging additional fees for electric usage for some or all classification of customers; modifying who is eligible to use electric vehicle charging stations, and varying the policy between locations based on usage patterns.
- All vehicles should be plugged in when parked at an electric vehicle charging station.
- Electric vehicle charging station spaces should not be used as a regular parking space.
- Our initial policy is to NOT require vehicles be moved from an electric vehicle parking space after charging is complete. This is typically required, but we recognize that most parkers are “all day” parkers and may find it inconvenient to move their car when charging is complete. However, we will pay close attention to usage patterns and customer feedback and adjust this policy when and where it is necessary to do so. The electric vehicle charging stations have the capability to allow you to monitor your charge and receive notification when charging is complete.
- Anyone parking in violation of this policy is subject to a $60 parking without consent ticket.
- Rules for parking will be posted at all electric vehicle charging stations and are available on our website www.bcarparking.com
- Electric vehicles will be allowed to charge ONLY at electric vehicle charging stations. Parkers charging at electrical outlets located in the ramp will be given one warning before receiving a ticket for parking without consent.
Please contact Bill Witnauer with any questions or concerns regarding this policy at (716) 849-5812 ext 315 or email Bill Witnauer for information.